Monday 4 April 2016

My Current Favourite Idoru List

As April has no events (or rather events are not close in the vicinity), to keep my creative juices running, I decided to compile a list of my favourite idorus. These are some of my personal favourites and I recommend you checking them out.

*Noted, list will be perceived as biased because, hey its my favourite idorus*

1) Niji No Conquistadors




Without a doubt, this group under collaboration with creative portal 'pixiv' is one of the most unique and downright entertaining group I've met. After having 3 close encounters with them (and in different countries at that,) I dare say with good marketing, this group can go far. Their latest MV is the quirky named 'Alien Girl from New York'. Perhaps a visit to New York is next on their agenda?






Favorite member: Nemoto Nagi (nemo-chan)
Recommend song: Triangle Dreamer
Official Website: http://pixiv-pro.com/2zicon

2) lyrical school




One of the fore-runners to integrate rapping into their idol performing fare, thus birthing the new music style 'IDOLRAP'. This 'genre' is both innovative and fresh, I personally didnt expect that 'idolrap' could be done. After that one chance encounter, I've never looked back since and been actively supporting them. Currently their group has ex-Rhymeberry (yet another 'idolrap' group!) member hime joining their ranks.




Favourite member: Mei
Recommended song: FRESH!
Official website: http://lyricalschool.com

3) Rev. from DVL




Whenever one mentions Rev.from DVL, Kanna Hashimoto comes to mind. Sure, without her, this group wont get as much notice but that sudden discovery while Kanna was proclaimed as the '1-in-a-1000 years idol' made me entered the realm of wonderful idols from Kyushu! Yes, it was not LinQ nor HKT48, but this group that opens the door to finding hidden idol gems strewn around that area.

Rev.from DVL is unique apart from their mind boggling name. Most of their songs have the pop-ish feel and dont worry about Kanna stealing the limelight, the others have a decent amount of exposure at their lives.



Favourite member: Shinomiya Nagisa (Surprised not Kanna right? hehe)
Recommended song: Ai Ni Kinshaii
Official website: http://www.rev.jp.net

4) Akishibu Project




Its sad that I got to know about them from this documentary series VICE where they were potrayed with extreme bias. However thanks to that video, I was quite curious to uncover more. First encounter was during that fateful handshake session and it was only till Japan Expo Thailand that I manage to know them better. Their music is more of those underground idol types but recently they had a big amount of exposure during to their 'one man lives' and overseas events.



Favourite member: Yue Miyatani
Recommended song: Manatsu no Serenade
Official website: http://akishibup.net

5) Yurumerumo (You Will Melt More!)





OK, to be honest, I just cant explain this group properly. Their style of music is unique. Rather its hard to pinpoint exactly whats their music style. Electronica? Pop? They seem to be very diverse. This group was discovered because their member Younapi did a collaboration with rinahamu while I was researching about her for an event article. This group is quite relentless in promoting themselves as evident on their youtube and twitter, with frequent updates here and there. Their members did other collaborations i.e. Ano-chan did cameos for rock bands MVs and Younapi appearing at DJ events.



Favourite member: Ano-chan
Recommended Song: Natsu Onburu
Official website: http://ylmlm.net

6) Afilia Saga




I believe alot are aware of Afilia Saga since they're one of the mainstream idols out there. How this group came about is interesting because they are associated with the maid cafe chain 'Afilia Group' and have their members hail from different cafe branches. I was previously so very into meido kissa culture thus Afilia Saga was one of the first groups to intro me to idol fandom. The group debuted as Afilia Saga East and their songs were very vibrant and catchy especially Knee High Egoist. They have well known people, such as Tsunku from Morning Musume fame, to pen their songs too!

Yuyu Arata from Iketeru Hearts, the group that previously attended AFA SG 2015, was from one of their cafe branches!



Favourite member: Kohime Lit Pucci
Favourite Song: S.M.L.
Official website: http://afiliasaga.jp

7) Seno Sister




This Fukui based idol group and their members usually sport the office 'salaryman' attire at their lives. And their lives are pure chaos! Its akin to attending a rock concert with heavy moshing and even crowd surfing! This group is another accidental find when was scouring for 'local idol' groups. Based from my own research, they were actually part of another idol unit called Amigas. Its actually through Amigas that I found out about them since both units perform the same songs.



Favourite member: Yutan
Recommended Song: Watashi Idoru
Official website: http://senosister.com

8) Hiroshima Maplez




This group always appear on my twitter feed. And I even have one of their members randomly added me. Decided to look into their group, and I was surprised! They're actually very good! This group is one of the recent additions to my idol fare, their style and appearance does have a striking resemblance to Cheeky Parade. Recently, their songs have a more EDM-ish feel, not that I'm complaining of course.



Favourite member: Amazingly, none as of moment! LOL
Recommended Song: RPM
Official website: http://maplez.jp

9) Mai Kotone




Another interesting addition to my list. If you noticed, this is the only solo idol to be included. Interest in Mai Kotone is down to one thing: their fans. Try experience her lives, the cheers and mixes made by her fans were AMAZING! She is also affectionally known as Mainya by her fans. And she seems to like Taiwan alot as her next overseas live will be Idolidge Taiwan in May



Recommended Song: Dreamscape
Official website: http://www.kotonemai.com/

10) JUMPIN



Next to make the cut is JUMPIN! This Ishikawa based idol group has a repertoire of cheery and catchy songs. Members are very young, comparable to members of Sakura Gakuin. What stands out is their costume, a dress with wings like a flying squirrel! Was very thankful to catch them live during TIF2015. Just look at the video below!



Favourite Member: NA
Recommended song: JUMPIN~La La La Panorama~
Official website: http://jumpup.ishikawa.jp



Thus there you have it. My current top 10 idorus. I did try my best to add in some not so mainstream ones for any of my readers who've yet to discover them. And I hope you might follow them too ^_^

Other honourable mentions:
1) PASSPO
2) DEEPGIRLS
3) maria
4) SUPERGIRLS
5) Dempagumi.inc
6) Iketeru Hearts

*Yessss. I am into Hello Project too but why no mention of Morning Musume and the likes? That will be put in another article~ Ya, DD mode LOL*

No comments:

Post a Comment